Wednesday, July 04, 2007

They say it's your birthday

Happy 4th of July!

Yesterday Henry was very angry with me because it wasn't his birthday. This was apparently my fault. Yesterday morning, out of the blue, he said, "Today's my birthday. We need to get some cupcakes." I explained to him that unfortunately it was not his birthday and that his birthday was in a few weeks. This was unacceptable and he whined about it all day long. "Its my birthday! I want it to be my birthday TODAY!" All I could say was, "Honey, I wish your birthday would have been July 3, it would have saved me from developing varicose veins, waddling around the month of July in 95 degree heat, 10 extra pregnancy pounds, among other things. But there is nothing I can do to make today your birthday."

Finally, in the afternoon I struck a compromise: it was still not his birthday, but we could go to the store to pick out his plates and napkins for his birthday party. So off we go. I get into the car and notice my driver's side window is about 1/4 of the way down. Funny, since we live in Omaha and I have not had the windows down in the car since April. So I try to roll it up. It won't budge. So I roll it down. It goes down about halfway and stops. The power window mechanism starts making a funny crunching sound. I think, oh well, I'll fiddle with it on the way to the store. I start to pick up speed going up the street and the window slides down the rest of the way. I try to roll it back up. Nothing. Nada. Zip. The window is now stuck down and I'm driving on the West Dodge Expressway in 95 degree heat, hot air blasting into the car. Henry calls out from the back seat, "Mommy, its WINDY! I don't like the windy!" I turn up the a/c to counteract the hot blowing air. Ha. Silly Mommy. Now it's just incredibly loud in the car and my left arm is frying in the hot sun and my right arm is freezing because the a/c is on full blast.

So, that's my sob story. We can't get the car in to get it fixed until Friday, which also happens to be the day we are supposed to leave for a wedding. Oh, and there's no guarantee they can even get the car fixed on Friday if they have to order a part or if it takes awhile. Plus we can't really go anywhere until then because the window won't go up so it's pretty much an open invitation for someone to just open up our car if it's parked at a parking lot. I sped through Nobbies thinking of my brand new really cool double stroller in the back of the car, sure that some stroller-savvy soccer mom from West Omaha was loading it up into the back of her Escalade while I was in the store. (Hey, don't laugh. Trendy strollers are the designer handbags of the mommy crowd).

Oh, and the winner of the birthday party theme was... SPIDERMAN! Spidey won out over Elmo, trains, and Curious George.
Have a great 4th of July!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It Can Be His Birthday anytime he wants at Mimi's House!