Thursday, November 29, 2007

The beginning of the end

The good-byes are starting.
Wednesday was Hank's last day at preschool. I don't think he's too disappointed about leaving though. I asked him if he was going to miss his friends at school and he said no, "just Ms Cheryl." He was more concerned about bringing cupcakes to school for his going-away party. On the pre-approved snack list his teacher sent home at the beginning of the year cupcakes are most definitely not listed. The list contains mostly healthy, good-for-you food and deviation from this pre-approved list is "frowned upon." There is just no way to make pitas and hummus (teachers' suggestion for Hank's party) festive, so I went the complete opposite direction and picked up the most sugary cupcakes that Hy-Vee makes, complete with tacky Dora and Diego pictures on them. It was very un-Montessori of me, but hey, it's our last day, and what are they going to do, kick us out? I mean, please, it's a party. I know there is a childhood obesity epidemic in this country, but  can't we just let the kids have some refined carbohydrates for once? Let's let them be kids. 

Hank is going to miss his playgroup friends though. We have been in our playgroup since the kiddos were babies, back when they didn't even play together and we got together once a week just for some adult conversation. I am very, very nervous that my friends here have set the bar pretty high and it will be difficult for me to find such good mom friends in Maine. We had our going-away party for Hank's playgroup last night, and it made me very sad. 

Tonight was my last book club, which was also sad, and then tomorrow is Mike's last day of work and going-away party.  That's a lot of good-byes for one week, and we have more to do next week.   I am looking forward to starting a new chapter of our lives in Maine, but I'm also very sad to be closing this one. 

1 comment:

Froggymama said...

I love that hummus is on the pre-approved snack list. When did Omaha become so California-like? If you even say the word "sugar" out here, prepare for dirty looks, and Children's Services knockin on the door. I'm sorry you're having to say goodbye and I'm sooooo impressed you're in a book club. Dear God, when do you have time to read, let alone talk about it. I must be doing something wrong. :)