These posts from our activities in Des Moines are not going to be in order, because 1. My mom has some of the pictures on her camera, and 2. I can't really remember what day we did what activity anyway.
Anyway, we took both boys to an Iowa Cubs game on quite possibly the most beautiful day weather-wise to see a baseball game. Georgie only stayed an hour but Hank made it through the whole game. Hank was relieved to see that Principal Park (the I-Cubs' stadium) was okay after it flooded. My parents had taken the boys on a "flood tour" of the Des Moines area while I was in Eau Claire and Hank was very disturbed to see all the flooding. (I saw much of it before I left, and it was devastating, although not as bad as Eastern Iowa. A good friend of mine in the Cedar Falls area sent me a picture of her parents' house, which has been pretty much destroyed).
Thankfully, my parents' house and the houses of our friends and family in Des Moines were not near the flooded areas, but it was sad to see so much of the city under water. My dad has worked for the Des Moines Water Works for over 30 years and Water Works Park is pretty much ruined.
Hank asked my mom why there was so much flooding. (Anyone who has ever experienced life with a 3-year-old knows that "why" is the most common word heard). My mom explained, "when it rains too much, the rivers and ground can't hold all the water, and the water has no place to go, so it floods."
"Oh," Hank replied. A few minutes later, "Mimi, why is there a flood?"
Mimi repeats the same explanation. A few minutes later, Hank asks again, "But Mimi, why is there a flood?"
Exasperated, my mom looks at Hank and says, "You tell me!"
Hank repeats, "Because there was too much rain, and the water had no where to go, so there was a flood?"
"Yes!" says Mimi.
Later that night, Hank is getting ready for bed.
MIMI - Did you brush your teeth?
HANK- (Long, long pause) You tell me.
So now that is his way out of getting out of answering all the questions we ask him. The kid is genius, I'm telling you.
1 comment:
Okay, that is too weird!! Linliey always says "You tell me". As I was reading that it totally sounded like Linliey. Cute pictures!
Post a Comment