I have read many more than these the past few months, but these are the ones that I can remember, so that must mean the other ones weren't really good enough to recommend....
Room by Emma Donaghue - So good. A very quick read, or maybe it was that way because I could not put it down. I guarantee it's different than any book you've ever read. It's told from the point of view of a little boy who lives with his mother in a room that they never leave (they are being held captive). He's never been outside of the room. Trust me, its good.
I'd Know You Anywhere by Laura Lippman - Also good, similar in theme but completely different take on than the above novel. This one's about a woman who had been kidnapped in her teens and was returned to her parents 6 weeks later. She had multiple chances to escape. Room was better, but this one wasn't bad.
Freedom by Jonathan Franzen - I read this one because everyone was RAVING about it everywhere - NPR, Entertainment Weekly, People Magazine, Oprah, NY Times Book Review - so I figured it MUST be good. And it was. But to get accolades from everywhere? Not sure I get that. Although it did stick with me, which must mean it was memorable at least. I think I would have enjoyed this book more had my expectations not been so high. Also, the characters were just so unlikable, but highly realistic.
The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen - So this is Franzen's first book, the one that came out a few years back that also got raves. I got this one because I wondered if it was so awesome that it blinded people to "Freedom." Anyway, it was really good - I liked it better than Freedom but it was kind of tough to get through - long. But again quite memorable. Maybe I'm the only person out there who doesn't think Jonathan Franzen is a god.
2 comments:
LOVED the Room, I couldn't put it down either. Love when you list books you've read, always gives me ideas! Hope all is well!
Kelly
I have had the Room on my to-read list! I have to finish a few others first though.
Post a Comment