I'm sure you have all heard about the tragedy at Westroads Mall in Omaha on Wednesday, that was our moving day and we are so, so grateful to our neighbor Ashlii for letting us hang out at her house all day long while the movers were there, because my backup plan was to take the boys to Westroads on Wednesday, and guess where we would have been? The third floor of Von Maur, where they have a train table that kids play at and a nice lounge for moms to change and feed babies, etc. It is such a tragedy, I went to Von Maur all the time and while I didn't personally know any of the victims I recognized several of the employees that were killed from their pictures in the newspaper. Ashlii and I watched it all unfold on TV, horrified.
So Wednesday was an extra emotional day. Adding to that, one of Hank's good friends was hospitalized with pneumonia on Tuesday night so we were all worried about her, plus all the moving drama. We got moved okay, but we cut it very, very close with time! The buyers of our house were literally pulling into the driveway with a truck full of stuff as the movers were moving our last few boxes out. Oh, and our car did not fit into the truck, which I knew it wouldn't. When the big North American semi pulled up and I peeked inside, I saw that two other families' things were also in the truck.
I told Mike, "There is NO WAY all of our crap and our car is going to fit in there." So I asked our driver and he was like, let's wait and see. Ha. Of course a few hours later, when our mountains of stuff was piled up on the driveway (how did we accumulate so much stuff????), the final decision was made that our car was most definitely not going to fit in that truck. So the North American agent in Omaha had to come out and pick it up at our house and it will go with another truck out to Maine sometime this week. We headed to Des Moines around 4pm, and I did a good job of not getting too emotional as we left our 1st home behind. Sniff, sniff.
But now we are in Des Moines and having fun, so that helps. Mike left this morning on his looooong drive to Maine, everyone pray for good weather!
2 comments:
Oh wow. I thought of you guys when I heard the scary news about the mall shooting. Thank God you're okay. Hope all goes well with the move!
Sorry for the double comment, but... a few years ago, when that elderly man drove through the farmer's market in Santa Monica, killing all those people -- I was planning on taking the little boy I nannied. Fortunately, I forgot what day it was, and thought the market was on Thursday. Had I not been so absentminded, we could have been one of the victims. Sometimes it's good to be a space cadet.
Post a Comment