Saturday, July 12, 2008

Picnic at Fort Point




On Thursday I decided to take the boys to Fort Point State Park in Stockton Springs for a picnic. I have never heard anyone around here mention it but saw it on the map and thought I'd give it a shot. Thursday was a really warm day here so I thought it might be cooler on the coast (it wasn't). So we packed up our sandwiches, yogurt, and fruit and headed to the park. I was pleasantly surprised that it was not crowded at all - in fact, we were pretty much the only ones there! There was a nice little lighthouse, the fort, a picnicking area, and a rocky beach. We ate our picnic on the grass overlooking the bay and then headed down to the beach to find shells. The boys both wanted to get in the water, but at a water temp of 55 degrees, the North Atlantic is not really that great for swimming. We stayed for awhile, then hopped back into the car and stopped for ice cream on the way back. When we got home, Mike was home from work early, so I took Hank to the swimming pool in Bangor while Georgie napped. It is just too hard for me to take both of them to the pool by myself, so I was happy that I could take Hank since he loves to swim. He thought we were at Funtown Spashtown USA, an amusement/water park in southern Maine that has been advertised constantly on TV this summer (seriously, every commercial break during the Today Show has at least one ad for Funtown Splashtown. They are marketing geniuses). Anyway, I didn't correct him. "Yep, this is it!" I said. Unfortunately, he saw the commercial on Friday morning. "Mommy, we didn't go to Funtown Splashtown yesterday. See, they have rides! The pool yesterday didn't have rides. Can we go to Funtown Splashtown? Pleeeeease???"

Well, I tried.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Funtown/Splashtown looks like the east coast version of Worlds of Fun/Oceans of Fun!

You could always add either to our list of activities when I'm in town. Haaaaaaaaaaa