Thursday, December 30, 2010

Running in heels and wet socks

We have been spoiled lately with Rex not wanting to spend a lot of time outdoors. This fall, we had to tie him up when we let him outside or risk running around the neighborhood shaking the treat can to get him to come back home. So it was a pleasant surprise when the weather turned colder and Rex would go outside, do his business, and quickly get back into the house. No tie-up needed.
The weather warmed up yesterday, and Rex started taking longer bathroom breaks. Earlier in the day, I let him out the front and he took off down the street. Mike and I ran after him frantically as he was headed for the main road and eventual roadkill. I can only imagine the entertainment we provided for our neighbors as I pranced down the street in my high-heeled boots screaming "Rex! Rex!" while Mike was a few paces ahead of me yelling "treat! treat!" We managed to catch him when he stopped to relieve himself. Ah, fun times.
But the funniest story was my Dad's Rex experience later that afternoon - just as my parents were getting ready to leave, Grampy announced that he needed some dry socks. He let Rex out and Rex decided to go exploring. He called him back but then realized that Rex was out for a joy-run. So Grampy took off in just his slippers, losing both of them along the way (hey, there's 22 inches of snow in the backyard, remember?) Rex is so light he just walks across the top of the snow, but us humans sink. So poor Grampy caught up with Rex in his sopping wet socks, stopping to retrieve his lost slippers on the way back.
For those of you who wonder how we can't catch the dog, the little guy is FAST. Seriously, it's like trying to catch a squirrel.
So we're back to tying him up again. If I want a workout, I'll just go to the Y. I'm sure the neighbors will be disappointed that they won't get to watch us run around like idiots anymore.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of owning an dog! Can't tell you how many times this has happened to me! Luckily all our neighbors have dogs as well so I'm not the only freak around :)

Kelly

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the smile this morning. That is one part of owning a dog that I do NOT miss.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have seen you guys running after that little bullet!