Another venting post about the realities of motherhood, and then I'll try to stop, I promise!
I just got done reading People Magazine's profile on Jennifer Lopez and her newborn twins, and I have to say that I am sick of reading about celebrity moms' accounts of how wonderful and amazing and easy motherhood is the first few weeks. Just once, I'd like to read an honest profile where the celebrity mom stops gushing about how much fun it is to get up in the middle of the night with her newborn and admits that it isn't all sunshine and rainbows 24/7. I have never once, in the past 4 years, talked to a single friend of mine who is a mother who said that she enjoyed getting up multiple times in the middle of the night with her newborn. Those first weeks at home with your newborn are amazing, and for me some of the happiest moments of my life were lived in those weeks, but I think we all have some moments during that time where we feel pretty overwhelmed too. I mean, don't the celebrities today already set a pretty unrealistic standard for us all in terms of beauty, lifestyle, career, etc., do we really need some other unrealistic standard (motherhood) to be measured against? I don't think so.
UPDATE - I just realized that the link to the above article won't let you read the entire article unless you subscribe to People - for those who haven't read the article there is a part in it where Lopez talks about how she jumps out of bed (and I believe fights with her hubby to determine who gets to be the one to go) when the babies cry in the middle of the night because she is just so excited to be with them.
3 comments:
Okay, I so just read that article and I do believe J-Lo mentioned that they have two full time baby nurses...which means if they are getting up with the babies at night you know the nurses are watching them while they are sleeping during the day!! I'm sure she left that out on purpose. Those celebrities...I agree 100 percent with you!
I read that article last week-end while I was getting my hair done. I was about ready to throw up!!! If I had two 24/7 nurses, a personal chef, a personal trainer, maids, etc... I would probably be ready to get in a ball gown and gush about being happy to wake up in the middle of the night to feed my baby with $100 bottles, in the middle of her nursery with 3 chandeliers, too. And then in the morning (after having napped while my entourage took care of all the messy and dirty parts of my life- like TAKING CARE OF MY CHILDREN) I could put on my Monolo Blahniks and take my baby for a walk in her $3000 stroller. Oh, but wait. I live in the real world. I went on a 45 minute rant to my hair person that day about how ridiculous the whole thing was. Whew, apparently I haven't totally gotten over it :)
I'm soooooo sure they have a night nurse. It's basically a prerequisite in Hollywood to have someone else get out of bed with your kid. My sis in law was actually a night nurse for a wealthy celeb family. I'm pretty sure they would have paid her extra if she could've found a way to breastfeed as well.
Post a Comment