Well, I think we're done with the flu, at least until the next cold/virus comes around. Hank went back to school on Tuesday and did fine, although he was beat when he got home. Yesterday was the first day that things seemed kind of back to normal. I am looking forward to seeing Mike's parents tomorrow, they are visiting for a week and Hank is always excited to see his grandparents.
But aside from that, I will be very happy to see March 2008 go - this month has been a real downer for a variety of reasons (sickness, crummy weather, and other stressful happenings that I won't get into now). I'm worn out from caretaking and being sick myself, and I think the emotional exhaustion is more taxing than the physical exhaustion. I remember watching an episode of the Real Housewives of Orange County (yes, I know some of you out there watch it as well, don't deny it! I have owned up to my TV addiction, join me!) where Lauri, a single mom with 3 kids, looks into the camera after dealing with her teenage son's behavior and says, "I just keep thinking, what else? When is it going to get easy?" In that moment I completely felt a connection to her as a mother, as I'm sure all mothers watching felt (probably the only connection, considering the other details of Lauri's life are not much like mine, you know, with her fake boobs and hair extensions and size 0 figure). A few nights ago, when we were up for the 3rd or 4th time in the middle of the night with the boys, I found myself literally asking that same question out loud. When does it get easier? I always told myself, oh, it will get easier when they sleep through the night, start preschool, get potty-trained, etc. But each stage just brings new challenges, new phases, new behavior, new everything. And although the 2nd kid is easier because at least you've played the game before, it's still a completely different experience. And I don't know about anyone else, but I get so irritated when people (usually strangers) say that phrase that we've all heard a zillion times, "Enjoy it now, they grow up so fast!" I wish I could ban that saying, because in some ways it's insulting. It always makes me feel so guilty, and as mothers, the last thing we need is another thing to feel guilty about! Last week I saw a new mom at the grocery store, struggling with their crying infant and trying to juggle jumbo packs of diapers onto the conveyor belt. An older woman chirpily said to her, "Oh, enjoy it now, it goes by so fast!" I saw the look on the young mom's face, and I know she was thinking, "THANK GOD, because I can't wait to have a peaceful outing to Target again." When I pack away Hank and Georgie's clothes that they have grown out of, I always feel a pang of sadness, but with that pang also comes a sense of relief. We did it, we got through that stage, remember when he was spitting up all the time and we didn't know why, etc. I think it's important not to look back at the past with rose-colored glasses. Parenthood is no cakewalk, its frickin hard work. Anyone else agree?
I know that I have it easy compared to many other moms out there, and I am grateful and appreciative everything I have and especially that Hank and Georige are very typically developing kiddos, with no major health or emotional issues to speak of. I'm putting March 2008 behind me and going into April with a positive attitude. I've got some fun things planned for our family and I think it's going to be a good month. A more upbeat post next time, I promise!
3 comments:
Beware the Ides of March! I hear ya, I am soooo ready for April.
And I love Desperate Housewives of OC. Have you seen the NY one? They're even worse, if you can believe it.
You make an excellent point about everyone telling us to enjoy every moment. It's impossible. And you're soooo right about the guilt implied in that statement. And let's face it, some things can only be appreciated with time and distance. We NEED that rose colored glass from three years later, to say, "Ahhh, I miss being up all night with a screaming kid attached to my boob!"
Love this post.
AMEN SISTER!!! I was just sitting here wondering what is wrong with me lately.... I feel so overwhelmed and grouchy and stressed ( I thought I hated tax season, but it's 50 million times worse with 2 kids for some reason). I was feeling guilty for the same reason you mentioned- time goes so fast, I should just enjoy it. So I was so glad to hear that someone else isn't enjoying every single moment either. What a relief to know I'm not a terrible mommy!!
Thanks for posting comments girls! Glad to know that I am not the only one who has a rough day (or week, or month) every once in awhile!
Post a Comment