Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Over the river and through the woods...

to Mimi and Grampy's house we go. We changed our original plans since it looked like we would be snowed in until Sunday if we waited to drive down here. Last night we were unsure if we would make it at all, but when we woke up this morning we checked the weather and figured we had a small window of opportunity to make it down here before the storm hit. I was frazzled trying to get everything thrown together quickly - I usually take my time making lists, organizing items, packing, gathering snacks for the ride, etc. There was no organization this morning. Mike didn't shower, I didn't shower (and I didn't shower yesterday either, so I was looking reeeeeally nice), I was sure I was forgetting half the stuff I needed to bring. (I did, however, throw the dozen or so leftover sugar cookies into a plastic container and we ate them for breakfast in the car. What can I say, I won't be winning mother of the year this year). We left the house a pigsty. I did remember to run the dishwasher before I left so we weren't welcomed back with smelly dishes. On the way down here we encountered some freezing rain and all I could think about was that if I died on this godforsaken stretch of I-35 they would pull my unshowered body from the car and then go through my house and think, what a pig. Seriously, that's what I was thinking about. New Year's resolution #1: re-think priorities.

Anyway, we made it down safely. We're ready to celebrate.

Last night we went to our annual "Dinner with Santa & Friends" dinner. For the first time, Henry sat on Santa's lap!! I was shocked. I will post the pictures later.

1 comment:

Hoekzema said...

Rain! We are up here getting rain! Yuck. Glad you made it down there safely!