Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Things I like about Maine so far (and one thing I don't)

This has nothing to do with the kiddos, but I just wanted to share my thoughts on a few things.

1. TJ Maxx & More - Yes, "& More"! I have never lived anywhere with a TJ Maxx & More and I wondered what the "& More" was all about. Well, I finally visited there this week and it was wonderful. Tons of furniture, home decor items, acres of clothing... my first visit I didn't even buy anything, I just walked around and drank it all in. For those of you who haven't visited a TJ Maxx and More, it is like a regular TJ Maxx on steroids. It was fabulous.

2. Marden's Salvage and Surplus - Local chain with designer stuff at bargain prices. I have heard stories of people scoring high end fashion at Target prices (Jimmy Choo shoes and Marc Jacobs accessories, to name a few) and thought it was an urban fashion myth. But no, my friends, it is true. Apparently they get the goods from the high end places like Barney's and Bergdorf's.

3. The library in our town - so cute, great kids' programs, and friendly librarians. I have not set foot in the bookstore since I've been here.

4. Hank's preschool - he likes it so much I had to physically drag him away after class was over the other day.

And one thing I HATE is all of the extra taxes, fees, etc. - I thought Massachusetts was supposed to be the "tax me" state, but I think Maine could give it a run for its money. I seriously felt ill after we registered our cars here, the amount was that high. Plus you would not believe the red tape you have to cut through just to get a license plate. It's craziness.

No comments: