Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Georgie, future volcanologist

Ever since that Iceland volcano situation a few weeks ago, Georgie has been obsessed with volcanoes. It probably didn't help that one of the movie channels was running "Dante's Peak" around the same time, and since Mike loves those natural-disaster type movies it was naturally tuned to that channel and Georgie just sat next to Mike on the sofa, utterly transfixed by the volcano movie. Now he talks about volcanoes constantly, and whenever we drive by a big hill here in Eau Claire, he shouts out, "LOOK! A VOLCANO!"

(By the way, I just want to state for the record that I think that vocanology is a ridiculous profession. I watched all that volcano coverage on the news. The only thing I saw any of those volcanologists doing was walking around in teams and collecting little baggies of schmutz. And then on the Today Show the poor reporter who obviously drew the short straw and got sent to Iceland to cover this thing interviews the head volcanoloist, the grand poo-bah of vocanology or whatever, and asks him the ONE FREAKING question that a so-called expert in volcanoes should know the answer to, which is "Will it erupt again?" and the guy answers, and I quote, "We don't know. We don't know.")

But I digress. So I asked Georgie what he wants for his birthday cake this year and he first says, "Team Umizoomi," which is a new show on Nick Jr. that he loves, loves, loves. Unfortunately it is a brand-new show and the chances of a Team Umizoomi cake pan or even party supplies are low. So I asked him what else he would want on his cake and he said, "A VOLCANO CAKE!"

Anybody have a volcano cake pan I can borrow?

3 comments:

Elli said...

By chance, I googled volcano cake and dinosaur for Logan's upcoming birthday...there are certainly ideas out there! We (I) decided on a LEGO cake instead... Have fun!

Megan said...

You should make a 3-tiered cake (kind of like the small birthday cake we made you last year) and instead of putting fondant on it, put frosting on it and make it look like orange lava (frosting is coming out of the top).

It'd be very cool.

Megan said...

http://www.justcakedecorating.com/cake-decorating-videos/hawaii-volcano-cake-food-network.html

Charm City Cakes did one. You could even do the dry-ice ;)

Seriously though, I'd help you tackle this cake. Looks fun! :)