Friday, January 02, 2009

A funny thing happened at the DMV

So like a good procrastinator, I waited more than the required 60 days to pay a visit to my local DMV and get a Wisconsin drivers' license. Faced with the prospect of a gigantic fine should I get pulled over, I headed in today to surrender my Nebraska DL and get hooked up with the Wisconsin one. (A very great DMV experience - very organized, speedy - very unlike Indiana, where you had to get there an hour before it opened to get in line and bring a sack lunch and a sleeping bag for what was always a day-long wait). All went very smoothly until I reached the photo waiting area. An 80-something year-0ld named Mildred was next to me, and after she got her photo taken the camera lady looked at me quizzically, then back at her computer. She clicked around on it a bit, then said, "Adria?" "No," I said, "my name is Angela." She looked back at her computer. "That's what I thought - come up here a minute Angela." She showed me her computer screen, where all of my information was there, all correct, except that in the gender box it said "male."

"Oh!" I said. She stared at me. "I'm female," I assured her, wondering if she was going to ask for proof. The photo lady laughed. "Yep, that's what I thought!" she said. While she went to find someone else to help her change it, I sat back down next to Mildred, who was chuckling. "I know I'm not wearing lipstick today, but geez!" I said to Mildred. Mildred laughed again and said, "I don't know, have you checked all your parts lately?"

That Mildred. What a hoot!

1 comment:

Three Girlies said...

You are around an awful lot of male parts... :-)