Thursday, June 10, 2010

Hello from DSM, and yet another travel story involving poop

We successfully made it to DM - I am getting to be somewhat of an expert at making the trip now with both boys by myself. This was our first trip with a diaper-less George. After 2 weeks of no accidents, I thought it was safe to do the trip with just underwear (or, in George's case, boxer shorts, because he won't wear tighty-whiteys. Have you ever tried to find boxer shorts in a size 2T?) Anyway, we made it safely to our first stop at a McDonald's in Minnesota, where George successfully peed in the potty, then promptly pooped his pants while playing on the playground. I had just finished my breakfast and was enjoying a few minutes of peace and quiet when George came up to me, smiled sweetly, and said, "Hi Mommy. Don't yell. I pooped-ed." We looked like quite the white trash family, with George in all his poopy glory, me unshowered, and Henry wearing mismatched clothing. I got him out to the parking lot and managed to get him cleaned up (boxer shorts deposited in trash can, there was no way I was hauling those things 3 more hours to Des Moines) but the car smelled like a big rolling turd the rest of the trip.

I've decided to start keeping track of the books I've read because too many times I have gone to the library, checked out a book, and settled down for a good read only to realize that I have already read the book. So here's the most recent list of what I've read this spring:
Falling Apart in One Piece, by Stacy Morrison (pretty good memoir)
I know I Am, But What Are You? by Samantha Bee (hysterical)
Try to Remember by Iris Gomez (very good)
The Help by Kathryn Stockett (pretty good - liked it but not sure it was worth all the hype)
The Politician: An Insider's Account of John Edward's Pursuit of the Presidency and the Scandal That Brought Him Down by Andrew Young (John Edwards tell-all, makes me like politicians even less)
Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner (not as good as her other stuff, kind of fluffy, but fun)
We've Got Issues: Children and Parents in the Age of Medication by Judith Warner (really interesting book about the myth about overmedicated children)
Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout (our book club book a few months ago, loved it)
Driftless by David Rhoades (another book club pick, also very good)
That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo (has this man ever written anything terrible? No.)
Columbine by Dave Cullen (excellent and disturbing)
Oprah by Kitty Kelley (unauthorized biography, not sure how much, if any, of it is true but interesting nonetheless).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooh thanks for the book list...some of these I haven't heard of.

Elli said...

Ang, I don't understand how you can get so much reading done...I have PILES of magazines that I can't even get through!

Anonymous said...

The week wasn't long enough!

Megan said...

Wow, I can't believe you were going to read a book you forgot you already read. That's pretty funny! I wish I could list all my books. Maybe I'll start a blog just to keep my thoughts on books I have read or something. I wish I could make a teaching blog, but I'm too scared that someone will find it and say that I gave out too much information on the school or kids - even though I'd never disclose names of the school, kids, teachers, etc.

Megan said...

I did it! I created a blog for books I read:
http://bookwormme.blogspot.com/